I really enjoyed the home atmosphere this week and I think this plan may work for our summer. It was very relaxed and fun and seemed to be an atmosphere that encouraged creativity. Every day everyone was up on time and getting started with the routine without any prodding from me. The days seemed to flow more naturally instead of a drastic division between school and play.
-
I liked that I had some time every day to direct their attention on what I wanted them to do and that they seemed very alert and cooperative because they had so much freedom the rest of the day. Past summers without any structure led to a lot of boredom, wasted time and bickering. Other summers, when we plodded along with the same schedule, left us longing for some variety and freedom. I love change so this is nice for me too. The only drawback was getting some of them to write down their activities. We'll have to work on that as a habit.
-
There were so many different things going on that I won't list them all here but here's a sampling:
-
The Boys
lots of state maps colored and state flag stickers applied
reading
lawn mowed
making paper puppets and entertaining Annalise and younger cousins
listened to books on tape
a little math and dictation
nature observations
housework
various read alouds
lots of play with fishertechnic building set
lots of play with younger children
-
The Girls
journal writing
writing songs and poems
creating a thank you card
lots of outdoor nature study
music practice
reading - history and literature
various read alouds
housework
drawing
singing
(Kezzi did 5 math lessons in her geometry book)
-
I think I will give this another week. I have made a short list of things I want to do with them next week. I'll report in at the end of next week.

No comments:
Post a Comment